Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

Dogs are meat-eaters, but it does not mean that they cannot eat the delicious taste of fruits and vegetables. There are so many fruits and vegetables your dog can safely enjoy. But not all fruits are safe for the dogs, such as grapes. Many dog owners get confused about the effects of grapes on dogs and ask questions: Can dogs eat grapes? The immediate answer to this question is NO., the grapes are not safe for dogs. You should never offer the grapes to your dog.

Nutritional Value Of Grapes 

The grapes are botanically the berries. These grow in the vines and contain the beneficial nutrients inside them. These tiny beautiful pearl-like fruits are widely liked around the world. And it does not have too much fat content in it. 100 grams of grapes contain 67 calories. other vital nutrients present in the 100 grams of grapes are as follows:

Nutrients Value in grams %age daily value 
Total fat 0.4 grams 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 2 mg 0%
Potassium 191 mg 5%
Dietary fibers 0.9 grams 3%
Sugar 16 grams 
Proteins 0.6 grams 1%
Vitamin C 6%
Iron 1%
Vitamin B-6 5%
Cobalamin 0%
Calcium 1%
Vitamin D 0%
Magnesium 1%

Can Dogs Eat Grapes Without Any Risk?

When we saw the nutrients present in the grapes mentioned above, it comes to mind that the grapes must be safe for the dog. But in actual the grapes are not safe for the dogs. You should never offer a single grape to your dog. Because even a single grape can cause grape poisoning in your dog, which can be fatal for the dog.

What is Grape Poisoning?

The grapes are not even 1% safe for dogs. Eating a single grape can cause severe health issues to the dog. The illness caused in the dog by eating grapes is called grape poisoning. This grape poisoning can lead to the death of the dog. If you are come to know that your dog has eaten the grapes, then you can observe the following symptoms of sickness in your dog:

  • Unconscious
  • In shock
  • Unable to breathe easily
  • Terrible breath
  • Seizures or tremors
  • The increased amount of urine, or no urine
  • Increased thirst
  • Pain if you touch the abdomen
  • Refusing to eat or drink
  • Weakness

If you come to know that your dog has eaten the grapes and does not vomit, you should try to induce vomiting in the dog soon. This will remove the grapes from the stomach of the dog. And may help you to protect your dog from falling severely ill.

When Will The Symptoms Be Shown In The Dog After Eating Grapes?

You can see the different types of symptoms of illness in your dog at different time intervals as follows:

  • Vomiting and diarrhoea: In about 2-12 hours of eating the grapes, you can observe the vomiting and diarrhoea in your dog.
  • Abdominal pain: your dog will feel pain in the abdomen in about 12-24 hours.
  • Loss of appetite: Your dog will lose its appetite in about 24-28 hours of eating the grapes.
  • Lethargy: Your dog will feel weak and lethargic in about 24-48 hours due to the above symptoms like diarrhoea, vomiting, and loss of appetite. 
  • Dehydration: soon, your dog will feel dehydrating, due to which your dog will start panting, and its gums will turn pale.
  • Kidney failure: in about 72 hours, the kidneys will be badly damaged, and it can be fatal for the dog if it is not treated in time.

Why Do The Grapes Cause Grapes Toxicity In The dogs?

There is research going on on the reasons for grape toxicity in dogs. Some researcher provides some reason due to which the grapes cause the grape toxicity in the dogs. These reasons are the pesticides used, the bacterial and fungal infections. There is also salicylate present in the grapes, which can cause toxicity in the dogs.

Can Dogs Drink Grape Juice?

The grape juice directly comes from the grapes. So, there are all the compounds present in the grape juice that are present in the grapes. So, grape juice is also harmful to the dog. 

How Many Grapes Are Harmful To Dogs?

The grapes are very harmful to the dog. These are harmful enough to cause the death of the dog. The number of grapes dangerous for the dogs depends on the dog’s size, age, physiology, and power to resist the effects of grapes. But for an average dog, one or two grapes are enough to cause grape poisoning in the dog. 

So, being a responsible dog owner, you should keep your dog away from the grapes if you want your dog to be protected from these serious health issues.

What If My Dog Eats To Many Grapes?

If you are petting a dog, you should be very conscious and always keep an eye on your dog to know what you are eating. But still, if your dog has accidentally eaten too many grapes. And you see the grapes in the dog’s vomit and observe the symptom of illness in your dog, then you should never waste time and quickly rush to the vet’s clinic. So that your dog can be treated in time before the condition gets worst.

When you come to know that your dog has eaten the grapes, you should not waste time observing the symptoms of illness in the dog and take your dog to the vet’s clinic. 


Can a single grape kill a dog?

The grapes are highly toxic for dogs, and these are fatal for the dog even when only one grape is eaten. So, yes, a single grape can also cause serious health issues to the dog. 

What happens if my dog eats a grape?

If a dog eats grapes, then after some time, your dog will start showing the symptoms of illness such as diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy, dehydration and kidney failure. So, if your dog has eaten the grapes, you should quickly move to the vet’s clinic to get the proper treatment as soon as possible.

How toxic are grapes to dogs?

The grapes can provide seral nutritional benefits to dogs. But unfortunately, the grapes are toxic for the dog. This tiny fruit is poisonous enough to cause the death of the dog. These are highly fatal for the dog that even a single grape can cause serious health issues.

What to do if my dog eats the grapes?

If your dog has eaten the grapes and is not vomiting, you should try to induce vomiting. This will be helpful to reduce the harmful effects of grapes on the dog. And you should rush to the vet’s clinic quickly to provide proper treatment to the dog.


The grapes are liked by many people. But here, a question arises in the mind of the dog owners that can dog eat grapes? the immediate answer is NO. the dog cannot eat the grapes because it is toxic to dogs. And this can be toxic enough to cause the dog’s death even when a single grape is eaten. 

If your dog has eaten the grapes and then you should not waste your time and just take your dog to the vet’s clinic immediately. 

Post Comment