Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

Mushrooms are added to most of the foods these days. You find mushrooms in the pizza, pasta also in the omelet, like many other dishes. And many enjoy the taste of mushrooms. But what about the loving pet you have in your house. Can dogs eat mushrooms You must have thought about it whenever you cook something with mushrooms. Yes, dogs can eat mushrooms, but not the wild mushrooms that grow naturally in your yard and other humid places because some mushrooms are also toxic in nature. So you should be very conscious when you are giving mushrooms to your dog. 

What are mushrooms?

Mushrooms are the umbrella-like structure of fungi, also known as the reproductive structure of the fungi. The mushrooms can grow naturally and also it is cultivated on a commercial level. The growth of mushrooms frequently whenever it rains is when the wind blows, it carries the spores of fungi with it. When the spores fall in the soil, they become dormant, and whenever they find favorable conditions like humidity, they grow and produce mushrooms. 

All of the mushrooms are not safe for eating purposes. Some are toxic in nature even can cause the death of a human or dog. 

Nutritional value of mushrooms

The mushrooms are nutrients packed food, as it contains many essential nutrients and is also a low-fat food. The number of calories in 100 grams of mushrooms is 22. Other essential nutrients in 100 grams of mushrooms are as follows:

Nutrients Value in grams %age daily value
Total fat 0.3 grams 0%
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 5 mg 0%
Potassium 318 mg 9%
Sugar 2 grams
Dietary fibers 1 grams 4%
Protein3.1 grams 6%
Vitamin C 3%
Vitamin D 1%
Calcium 0%
Iron 2%
Cobalamin 0%
Vitamin B-65%
Magnesium 2%

Are mushrooms safe for dogs

Yes, the mushrooms are safe for dogs if the mushroom is not from the toxic family of mushrooms. So, if you have enough knowledge about mushrooms, which one is safe or poisonous, you can give the mushrooms to your dog.

 And if you are buying mushrooms from the market that are edible, then you can give them to your dog. It would be best if you did not allow the dog to eat the mushrooms grow naturally in the yard because these mushrooms can be toxic and dangerous for the dog’s health.

Health benefits of mushrooms to dogs

As the mushrooms have too many nutrients inside them, giving mushrooms to dogs can provide many health benefits to dogs. the health benefits of mushrooms to dogs are as follows:

  • Improve liver and kidney function
  • Improve nutrition in weak animals
  • Soothe blood sugar and metabolism
  • help in preventing fatty liver disease
  • Lower cholesterol
  • Boost weight loss 
  • Prevent the dog from viral infections
  • Strengthen immune system
  • Maintain blood pressure
  • Avoid heart disease
  • Avoid and fight cancer

Mushrooms that are safe to eat for dogs

The mushrooms that are safe for the dog to eat are as follows:

  • Porcini
  • White button
  • Portobello
  • Cremini
  • Maitake
  • Reishi
  • Shiitake

Mushrooms that are dangerous for the dog to eat

There are almost 100 species of mushrooms that are toxic in nature. These mushrooms are harmful enough to cause the death of the individual. Following are some mushrooms that are toxic and are commonly found:

  • Amanita phalloides (death cap)
  • Amanita muscaria (fly agaric)
  • Galerina marginata (deadly Galerina)
  • Gyromitra species (false morel)
  • Amanita gemmata (jeweled death cap)
  • Inocybe species 
  • Clitocybe dealbata mushrooms

These mushrooms are commonly found in toxic mushrooms, which can cause serious health issues to individuals. 

Mushroom poisoning in dogs 

If the dog ate the poisonous mushroom, the dog could suffer from mushroom poisoning. If you know that your dog has eaten the mushroom grown naturally, you should keep an eye on your dog, and if your dog has mushroom poisoning, you can see the following symptoms in your dog.

In mild cases:

  • Slobbering
  • Abdominal pain
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy 

In severe cases:

  • Organ (liver or kidney) failure
  • Weakness
  • Coma
  • Seizures
  • Walk like he is drunk

If you observe the above symptoms in your dog, immediately rush to the vet’s clinic so that your dog can be treated in time before anything severe happens.

Organs that are affected by the mushroom poisoning

Mushroom poisoning can cause severe health issues to dogs. but the organs that are likely to influence by mushroom poisoning are as follows:

Nervous system 

mushroom poisoning can badly affect the nervous system of the dog. If your dog has eaten the toxic mushroom, the dog will show a loss of coordination, and the dog will walk like he is drunk, weakness and even traumas.

Digestive system 

The digestive of the dog will also be affected by mushroom poisoning. Your dog will feel stomach upset after eating a toxic mushroom. The dog will keep on vomiting or may have diarrhea.


The kidney of the dog will be damaged very severely by eating the toxic mushroom. As the toxins level increase in the body, the kidneys will start working hard to remove the toxins from the body. This sudden hard work of the kidneys will damage the kidneys.


Some poisonous mushrooms can cause liver failure. the liver is the most affected organ of the body due to mushroom poisoning. 

Your dog can show the symptoms of lethargy and jaundice if having liver affected with the mushroom poisoning.


Can dogs eat cooked mushrooms?

Yes, the dog can eat the cooked mushroom. But select the mushroom for your dog intelligently. And do not add sauces or other seasonings to the mushroom when preparing it for your dog.

What mushrooms are safe for dogs?

Dogs can not eat all kinds of mushrooms. Some mushrooms can be very dangerous for the health of the dog. The mushrooms that are safe for the dog to eat are:

  • White button
  • Cremini
  • Porcini
  • Portobello
  • Reishi
  • Shiitake
  • Maitake

Can mushrooms kill dogs?

Yes, the mushroom can kill the dog. If your dog has accidentally eaten the toxic mushroom, it can cause the death of your dog. So you have to be conscious about selecting the mushroom for your dog and also prevent your dog from eating the mushrooms that grow naturally.

What happens if my dog eats mushrooms?

If your dog has eaten the edible, nontoxic mushroom, then your dog will be OK.  But if your dog has eaten the toxic mushroom. It can cause severe health issues to the dog as your dog can suffer from diarrhea, vomiting, kidney failure, liver failure, lethargy, coma, and even death.


The mushrooms are present in two forms: the edible form and the other are toxic. If your dog has eaten the edible form of the mushroom, your dog will be OK. But if your dog has eaten the toxic form of the mushroom, then your dog cans suffer from serious health issues.

When you know that your dog has eaten the toxic mushroom, you should immediately take your dog to the vet so that the mushroom poisoning of the dog will be treated as soon as possible.